Safety is the top priority for your propane company and for everyone else in the propane industry.
Here are five quick tips to keep in mind:
- Make sure all of your propane appliances are properly vented.
- Know where your gas lines are.
- If you paint your tank, use only white or a bright color; they will deflect heat.
- DO NOT under any circumstances try to modify or repair valves, regulators, connectors, controls or other parts for appliances, cylinders or tanks. An improperly connected tank or appliance can cause a gas leak. If you want to move your tank or appliances, leave that to your propane company.
- Know the smell of propane; it has a skunky odor. Some people think a leak smells like rotten eggs or a dead animal.
To help you better understand how to approach propane safety in and around your home, whether it’s propane tank safety, propane heater safety or propane grill safety, the Propane Education & Research Council has developed these learning modules for your reference.
If you have any questions about propane, please contact your propane company.